Alex Jones admits Sandy Hook attack was ‘100% real’

Conspiracy theorist Alex Jones has revealed that he now understands that it was irresponsible of him to declare the Sandy Hook Elementary School massacre a hoax, and that he now believes it was “100% real”.

peaking a day after the parents of a six-year-old boy killed in a terrorist attack in 2012 testified to the anguish, death threats and harassment they endured because Jones trumpeted on his media platforms, the Infowars presenter told in Texas. courtroom that he definitely thinks the attack happened.

Especially since I met my parents. It’s 100% real,” Jones said at a trial to determine how much he and his media company Free Speech Systems owe for defamation of Neil Heslin and Scarlett Lewis.

Close

Neil Heslin, father of six-year-old Sandy Hook, shooting victim of Jesse Lewis (Briana Sanchez/Austin, US statesman via AP)

Their son Jesse Lewis was among 20 students and six teachers killed in what became the deadliest school shooting in American history in Newtown, Connecticut.

But Mr. Heslin and Ms. Lewis said the apology was not enough and that Jones needed to be held accountable for repeatedly spreading false reports about the attack. They are looking for at least $150 million.

Closing arguments are expected to begin later Wednesday after additional testimony from Jones, who framed the lawsuit as an attack on his First Amendment rights.

Jones is the only person to testify in his defense. His lawyer asked him if he now understood that it was “absolutely irresponsible” to make false claims that there was no massacre and that no one died.

Jones said yes, but added, “They (the media) won’t let me take it back.”

He also complained that he was “introduced as a man who runs talking about Sandy Hook, makes money on Sandy Hook, is obsessed with Sandy Hook.”

Jones’ testimony comes a day after Mr. Heslin and Ms. Lewis testified in an Austin courtroom, where Jones and his companies are based, that Jones and the false claims he and Infowars promoted turned their lives around. to “living hell” with death threats on the Internet. insults and harassment.

On Tuesday, they spent a day of testimony, during which the judge scolded the pompous Jones for not being truthful about what he said under oath.

In an engaging conversation, Mr. Lewis spoke directly to Jones, who was seated about 10 feet away. Earlier that day, Jones told his audience on his radio program that Mr. Heslin was “slow” and was being manipulated by bad people.

“I am a mother first and foremost, and I know that you are a father. My son existed,” Miss Lewis told Jones. “I’m not a deep state supporter… I know you know that… And yet you’re going to leave the courthouse and say it again on your show.”

At one point, Ms. Lewis asked Jones, “Do you think I’m an actor?”

“No, I don’t think you’re an actor,” Jones replied before the judge warned him to keep quiet until he was called to testify.

Mr. Heslin and Ms. Lewis are among several Sandy Hook families who have filed multiple lawsuits alleging that Jones’ allegations of a Sandy Hook hoax led to years of abuse by him and his followers.

Mr Heslin and Ms Lewis said they fear for their lives and encounter strangers at home and on the street. Mr. Heslin said that his house and car were shot at. The jury heard about a death threat sent by phone to another Sandy Hook family.