Alexander Mitrovic and Fulham shock Liverpool as Newcastle spoils one return

Promoted Fulham marked their return to the top flight with a 2-2 draw against title-hoping Liverpool at Craven Cottage on the opening Saturday of the new Premier League season.

Erbia striker Aleksandar Mitrovic, whose 43 goals helped clinch the Sky Bet Championship crown, broke the deadlock in the 32nd minute when he overtook Alisson Baker.

Liverpool’s club-record £85million summer signing Darwin Nunez leveled the Reds with an improvised backheel just after the hour mark, only to see Mitrovic put Fulham ahead from a penalty sport in the 72nd minute.

But with 10 minutes left, Mohamed Salah set up Jurgen Klopp’s side to take the first point in their quest to win the title from rivals Manchester City after Nunez set up.

Nottingham Forest suffered a 2–0 loss to Newcastle in their first Premier League game in 23 years.

Forest, promoted through the play-offs, brought in 12 players to bolster Steve Cooper’s team and were knocked out during a goalless first half at St. James’ Park.

The stalemate, however, was broken just before the end of the hour, when defender Fabian Schaar crashed a 20-yard attempt from the post after failing to clear a corner.

Newcastle added a second with 12 minutes to go when Callum Wilson flicked into a low cross from Joelinton.

Tottenham came from behind to beat Southampton 4-1.

Saints captain James Ward-Prause had silenced the home crowd with a goal in the 12th minute.


Eric Dier was on target as Tottenham rallied to watch Southampton (Kirsty O’Connor/PA)

The Spurs, however, were soon back on level terms, when Ryan Sessegon took the lead and Eric Dier nodded home to each other after a corner as the hosts completed the turnaround before half-time.

Just after the hour, Southampton defender Mohamed Salisu scuffed a cross from Son Heung-min into his own net, then the impressive Dejan Kulusewski added a swift fourth for Spurs in the 63rd minute.

Promoted Bournemouth, back in the top flight after two seasons in the Championship, began the campaign with a 2–0 win over Aston Villa at the Vitality Stadium.

The Cherries took the lead within two minutes when Colombia midfielder Jefferson Lerma chased a corner and drilled home and Kiefer Moore took a late second lead to score points.

After defeating Wolves 2–1 at land Road, Leeds improved on their season and raced.

Daniel Podens gave the visitors the lead in the sixth minute when his volley flew under the crossbar.

Leeds, however, were back on level terms in the 24th minute via an angled drive from Rodrigo.

With 16 minutes left, Patrick Bamford’s low cross was converted into his own goal by Wolves defender Ryan Ait-Nouri under pressure from Brendan Aarons.