To get a roundup of Meczyki’s biggest and most important stories delivered to your inbox every day at 3PM PDT, subscribe here,
Hello, Crunch Bunch!
Did you remember to drink water today? You can’t live with coffee and Red Bull alone. Take care of yourself, you good looking but dehydrated startup nerd. We care about you, and we want you to succeed!
Meczyki Top 3
- What are you collecting?Collectibles: Collectibles, such as trading cards, are big business, and eBay got a big boost in this area with its new move to acquire trading card marketplace TCGplayer for up to $295 million, Ayesha Report. “The company’s latest acquisition shows that eBay sees increased potential in trading cards,” she writes, as the company notes that the agreement aims to ‘maintain its position as a desirable platform for trading card sellers’. provides a way.”
- ‘getting ahead’, jagmeet The thin is on the 15 Indian and Southeast Asian companies selected for Sequoia’s seventh surge cohort.
- Not sure if the ‘flow’ is going up or downAll we know by now is that Andreessen Horowitz gave Adam Neumann $350 million for his new effort, Flow, which is buying rental units in an effort to create a community impact. Tim, dominican-madoric And AMANDA Both the venture capitalist and founder offer three different takes on why they may have “misread America’s housing problems.”
Startups and VCs
There was a bunch of news last week about former WeWork boss Adam Newman raising more money to do everything he does these days — but Connie Brings us a story about how to do it differently in “The Anti-Adam Newman.”
The accelerator can be a bit hit or miss, but hodges Here’s a closer look at Miko, which went through the Disney tech accelerator, and announced this week that it’s launching in 140 countries alongside Disney and Pixar content. This is a dream partnership for any startup, so it’s fun to see it work for them.
Nourish Your Mind:
- One more step towards singularity, Manish And Kelly Report that game developer John Carmack, who co-founded id Software and was Oculus’ CTO, is working on a new venture. Keen Technologies raises $20 million from Sequoia.
- Tactical Pay, Simplified, Anita Reports that Complete helps startups think through the “why” and “how” of employee compensation, raising $4 million in a round led by Accel.
- This Slot Machine Is Great — I Keep Winning: Founded in 1965 and maker of the first modern ATM system by some accounts, CSI agrees to acquire $1.6 billion, report Kelly,
- More Zen Casting, Brian reports that podcasting recording platform Zencastr adds editing and distribution tools to become a full-service podcast offering.
- Have you herbed what they have come up with this time?: The bud came from inside the house, Poon hodges About the new Click & Grow at-home hydroponic setup. But then he became annoyed at how expensive these things are, and he spent a few weekends build your own hydroponic system, and wrote a guide on how to build your own. You Know, If Your To-Do List Wasn’t Fully Quite painful.
4 Ways Founders Can Increase Revenue During Tough Times
Converting one-time customers into repeat buyers is of utmost importance during a recession. Getting a new user is a heavy lift, but finding ways to reduce friction is an easy way to boost a customer’s lifetime value.
One study found that password difficulties cause about 60% of consumers to leave the shopping cart before completing a purchase.
If you’re trying to recalculate online sales, this TC+ guest post includes formulas for calculating Lost Lifetime Value (LTV) due to churn on a monthly and yearly basis. “In times of recession, you have to take things easy, not hard,” says Ari Jacobi, CEO and co-founder of Dedeus.
( Meczyki+ is our membership program that helps founders and startup teams grow. You can sign up here,
Big Tech Inc.
It just so happened that a trio of self-driving news hits almost at the same time, and Rebecca Went there to deliver the goods. So at the same time that Tesla says it will raise the cost of its full self-driving beta software in North America to $15,000, YouTube pulled a pair of videos from its site where Tesla drivers are showing off the controversial software with their kids. Were. driver seat. Meanwhile, in the UK, the government there said that self-driving manufacturers, not the drivers themselves, would be liable for accidents when the car is in autonomous mode.