Conor McGregor could face ‘further charges’ over alleged dangerous driving incident

UFC star Conor McGregor has postponed the dangerous driving case for the DPP to consider whether further charges should be brought against him.

The 33-year-old MMA fighter has been charged with motoring offenses at an incident in West Dublin earlier this year.

He was released on bail by Judge David McHugh when he appeared in Blanchardstown District Court.

McGregor, The Paddocks, Castledillon, Strafan, has been charged with two counts of dangerous driving on March 22 at Lucan Road in Lucan and the N4/M50 interchange in Palmerstown, with an address in Kildare.

He has also been charged with driving without insurance and without a licence, as well as failing to present his documents at a Garda station within 10 days.

McGregor was arrested on the day of the alleged crimes, but was granted bail at Lucan Garda station and released before his first court appearance in April.

Today, Garda Sergeant Walter Sweeney said the Director of Public Prosecutions had an investigation file and asked the judge to adjourn the case “to consider further charges.”

Defense attorney Michael Staines said his client had consented.

Judge McHugh remanded McGregor to continue on bail to appear in court again on September 8.

McGregor arrived at a 21-registered Rolls-Royce at the West Dublin Courthouse this morning. In a Navy suit, he sat in court during the brief proceedings and was not required to address the court. He has not filed a petition on any of the charges so far.

After a short hearing, he declined to comment outside when asked if he was concerned that the court case would back his return.

On the preceding date, evidence of McGregor’s arrest, charge and caution in relation to the dangerous driving charge was submitted to the court by certificate.

Garda Dennis Lordon said that when he charged the accused with four counts related to his license and insurance, McGregor did not respond after caution. Garda said he was handed over copies of the chargesheet.

Judge McHugh had extended bail to cover all charges and ordered prosecutors to disclose evidence for the defense.

At the closing date, Mr Staines said he could confirm in court that he had shown Gardy a copy of his client’s insurance and driving license.

The charge of dangerous driving is under section 53 of the Road Traffic Act.

It alleges that the accused drove the vehicle in a manner involving speed which, “having regard to all the circumstances of the case, including the position of the vehicle, the nature, condition and use of such place and the volume of traffic… . was likely to be dangerous to the public or to the public.”

If convicted, it carries a maximum sentence of €5,000 or a fine of up to six months’ imprisonment, or both.

McGregor, believed to be the world’s highest-paid athlete in 2021, is believed to have been driving a 2019-registered €170,000 Bentley Continental GT at the time he was stopped.

After his arrest in March, his spokesman said: “Mr. McGregor was on his way to the gym when he was stopped by Gardai for an alleged road traffic violation. He passed drug and alcohol tests taken at the station.

A video of McGregor being pulled over by a guard in a passing car went viral and was retweeted by McGregor.

Hours after his arrest, the Crumlin-born fighter posted a message on Instagram saying “tea always helps,” along with a picture of tea and muffins.

Several criminal trials have brought McGregor before the courts in recent years.

In 2019, he was fined €1,000 but escaped prison after pleading guilty to assaulting a man at the Marble Arch pub in Drimnag in April.

During that hearing, the court was told that McGregor had previously received 18 sentences, primarily for road traffic charges, but also for one assault, as well as for offenses of public order.

In his prior motoring cases, in 2018, he was banned from driving for six months and fined €1,000 in Naas District Court for speeding.

McGregor was caught driving at a speed of 154kph in a 100kph zone on the N7 in Co Kildare in an October 11, 2017 incident, and failed to pay a certain fine due to an administrative error, which the court heard.

In November 2017, McGregor was fined €400 for speeding in a separate incident on Nass Road after he pleaded guilty in Blanchardstown District Court.