Cookstown: Man stands trial for allegedly strangling his mother Una Nun to death

A 45-year-old Cookstown man is on trial for the murder of his mother, who was found dead in her bed with a rosary wrapped around her arms.

Arri Noon was arrested at the home he shared with his mother, Margaret Una Noon, 77, who goes by the name Una, on Sunday morning.

The court heard him tell the police that he had killed her and left a note saying he “couldn’t take it anymore”.

An autopsy showed that the cause of death was neck compression.

Police were called to a house on Ratin Avenue in Cookstown just before 11 a.m. Sunday after two of Barry Noon’s friends raised the alarm.

Mrs Noone’s body was found in the upstairs bedroom. She was lying on her back, with her rosary wrapped around her hands.

Barry Noone was found under a sheet in the second bedroom. He told police that he had taken up to 30 of his mother’s Valium and did not expect to wake up.

Appearing in Omagh’s court via video link, Noon, wearing a gray sweatshirt, spoke only to confirm his date of birth.

The detective constable said she could tie the defendants to one murder charge.

The officer said that on June 19, the ambulance service received a call from a man who said that his friend Barry Noon had harmed his mother and also overdosed.

Shortly thereafter, the police also received a call, transferred from the Devonshire police, informing them that the man claimed to have received a suicide letter from his friend Barry, who was looking after his mother in Cookstown. He said that Barry Noone mentioned in his letter that he killed his mother and overdosed.

The uniformed police were then sent to the Noon family home on Ratin Avenue.

The police called the house and found that the shutters were closed and the door would not open. They entered through the unlocked front door.

The detective said, “There was a notebook on the table in the hall with a note: ‘Please don’t come in, call the police, I’m sorry, Barry.’

“The police continued to search the facility,” the officer added.

The officer said that the police “went to the closed bedroom door, upon entering they found a man lying in bed under a sheet.”

The police then entered another bedroom and noticed an elderly woman lying on her back: “her hands were on her chest with a rosary in her hands, there were no signs of life, the woman was cold and hard to the touch,” the officer said.

The man was identified as the son of the deceased.

Nobody told the police at the scene, “I killed her.”

A suicide note signed by Noon said he “couldn’t take it anymore” that he had been taking care of his mother since April and it was traumatic – “her crosses became his crosses and he couldn’t carry them anymore.” .

He was interrogated during eight interviews, which mostly did not contain comments.

An autopsy revealed that Ms. Noon died from neck compression with a fracture of her vocal apparatus and sternum.

The police objected to bail due to Noon’s mental condition, stating that he had attempted suicide, had severe depression and suicidal thoughts, and required observation due to his fragile condition.

A lawyer representing Noon said his client “showed remorse and regret” and cooperated at the scene.”

Adding that the defendant also signed a consent form allowing the police to access medical records and provided phones and pin codes.

Nobody’s sister and uncle, the brother of the deceased, were ready to support him and provide him with a bail address, the court was told.

District Judge Bernie Kelly said she has a duty to advance life under Article 2 and that Noone will be placed on suicide watch at Maghaberry.

A number of other family members listened to the short hearing via video link.

Judge Kelly said, “I’m going to end up taking him into custody for a psychiatric evaluation.”

No one was detained until July 16 to reappear via video link.