Dad of three jailed for filming woman during sex and sharing video on Snapchat without consent

The father of three has been jailed for six months for making a video of a woman during sex and sharing the video on Snapchat without her consent.

She told a court that she felt “violated and traumatized” after Conor Flynn (47) sent the clip to his “top contacts” on the messaging app.

Flynn met her when they were both recovering from drug addiction, and she recorded a sex act on him at his home when he recorded her without her knowledge.

Sentencing her to six months in prison, Judge Tresa Kelly said Flynn had violated the woman’s trust while she was vulnerable.

Flynn, a construction worker from Tyrconnell Road, Inchikor, Dublin, pleaded guilty to recording and distributing an intimate image without consent.

Garda Alice McBride told Dublin District Court Flynn that the victim recorded her performing a sexual act, which she distributed on social media without her consent.

This happened on May 16, 2021, at his home. When the matter was investigated, Flynn went to Kilmenham Garda station by appointment and made a statement.

The court heard that the accused sent the video to three or four of his top Snapchat contacts on his friend list, but they could not be identified.

At the age of 30, she became emotional after reading the victim’s statement of influence in court. She said that when she saw Flynn “my body reacts on a fundamental, instinctual level; I freeze in, move.”

“Your actions have made my mind an unsafe place,” she told the accused in her statement, “because when I think of you I get emotionally overwhelmed and my body shuts down.”

“Your actions really hurt me, I feel insecure around all the men now, I don’t go out till late at night,” she said. “You are my point of reference for how men treat women.”

For others to see a video of her that she had not seen and consented to make her feel “powerless”, she said.

“You made me feel like I was nothing, you made me feel insecure and in danger,” she said.

When confronted, she said she had sent the video to her relatives, and that the statement seemed “perverted” to her, she continued.

She had to trust him that it was only sent to whomever he told her, and it made him “physically ill”.

She said, “I feel dirty, I feel unclean, I feel humiliated,” and she would bathe herself “in tepid water” and clean herself.

She hadn’t had an intimate relationship with a man since that day and “you made the act of sex feel unsafe,” she said.

Flynn “robbed her of feeling safe to recover” but she did not relapse and remained drug-free despite this.

His behavior was “disgusting” and “disgusting”, she said.

The accused had been previously convicted of a large number of offenses including robbery, blackmail and extortion and escaping from legal custody.

His attorney, Mervyn Harnett, said Flynn offered the victim a “heartfelt apology.”

He was straight and honest with the guard from the start. The video was sent to “temporary media”, although he acknowledged that sharing images of such an intimate nature is still a crime.

The lack of consent was not informed until after.

“It was a silly mistake, he didn’t realize at that moment the effect it would have or the damage it would do,” Mr Harnett said.

Judge Kelly said the victim was a “vulnerable woman” when she met Flynn, who was on her way to recovery.

The woman was deeply hurt by the breach of trust that affected her relationships with other men and turned her back into recovery. Judge Kelly said, however, that the victim maintained her sobriety, dignity and determination to remain drug-free.

The judge commended the victim on the strength of her character. He took note of the accused’s plea and the fact that he “clearly regrets his actions.”