Dublin airport: Most travelers pass security in 30 minutes as DAA braces for busiest weekend before pandemic

Most passengers got to safety in less than 30 minutes this morning, Dublin airport has said, as it prepares for its busiest weekend before the pandemic.

The Dublin Airport Authority (DAA) said between 50,000 and 55,000 passengers are expected each day this weekend as schools close for the summer holidays.

Minimal queues were observed for security in Terminals 1 and 2 at 6.30 am, with screens showing wait times between 10 and 20 minutes.

The longest queues were for airline check-in desks, passing through the Aer Lingus Desk Terminal in Terminal 2. However, those at the top of the queue said that it was moving very fast, taking around 30 to 40 minutes.


Queues for security at Terminal 2 Dublin Airport this morning. Photo: Tony Gavin

Maddie McCarthy of Donabet, Dublin was on her way to Newcastle with her friends this morning for a chicken party.

Around 7 p.m., the group said it took 15-20 minutes to check their bags at the Ryanair desk and then 20 minutes through security.

“We were very worried [about the queues] But when we got here it was grand,” Ms McCarthy said.

“We thought there was going to be pure chaos with primary schools closed and exams over this weekend, but I think everyone came early.”

DAA communications chief Kevin Cullinne said the weekend marked the start of the busiest period of the year for the airport.

“Between today and Monday we will have between 50,000 and 55,000 passengers departing through Dublin airport each day,” he said.

“We will be doing those numbers for several weeks now, which are a few percentage points ahead of what we have been regularly handling for the last month or so. It will be the biggest weekend since the pandemic.

“It will become the norm on a daily basis now that primary schools are falling apart, we will see numbers like this every day for the rest of June and July.”


Queues at the AirFrance check-in desk at Terminal 1 Dublin Airport this morning. Photo: Tony Gavin

Mr Cullinane said the security queue at the airport this morning went “very efficiently”.

“The busiest part of the day is the first wave of departures before 6am and it started very well this morning,” he said.

“Most passengers were passing through the security area in both Terminals 1 and 2 in less than 30 minutes this morning. Some of them were queuing at the airline check-in desk or bag drop, but the security process is very efficient. This morning. “

The advice remains the same that passengers should arrive two-and-a-half hours before short-haul flights and three-and-a-half hours before long-haul flights.

Those who are checking in luggage should add an extra hour to this.

Ryanair and Aer Lingus both open their check-in desks at 3 a.m. Aer Lingus allows people to drop off their luggage the night before their flight.

Gwyn Piper and Emily Winslow from Washington DC in the US waited 20 minutes in a queue for Aer Lingus, having to check-in at the desk because the machines didn’t allow them to print their boarding cards.

“We were a little worried, yes we knew how bad it was so we came in so early,” said Ms. Piper.

“Machines are not the best. It’s saying that you can get boarding pass through machines, but when you try to get your boarding pass it won’t work.

“But in reality [the queue] It’s been very quick, it’s been about 20 minutes, and we started all the way from the back, so it went well.”

Shannon Mulvaney from California and her daughter Kelly Brenya were on their way home from Ireland after a week’s vacation.

Ms Mulvani said she was pleasantly surprised at the queues at the airport. They were flying with American Airlines, with only a small number of people waiting for check-in.


Mother and daughter Shannon Mulvaney and Kelly Brenya queue up at Terminal 2 Dublin Airport this morning for their flight home from California. Photo: Tony Gavin

“I’ve been following all the information on the news because the traffic was terrible but this morning I was pleasantly surprised,” she said.

“It would certainly worry me, but I don’t think it would stop me traveling.

“As soon as I saw there weren’t crowds outside, I was like ‘Okay, it’s going to be okay’.”