Google and Apple have pulled the popular mobile game Battlegrounds Mobile India, known as BGMI, from their respective app stores in India following an order from the Indian government, a source familiar with the matter told Meczyki.Net, A year after it was launched by developer Crafton. App after banning similar title PUBG in South Asian market.
In a statement to Meczyki.Net, a Google spokesperson confirmed: “Upon receipt of the order, following established procedure, we have notified the affected developer and blocked access to the app available on the Play Store in India “
The app was delisted by Google from the Play Store and by Apple from the App Store in India on Thursday evening. The iPhone-maker did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
The development follows escalating tensions between the two nuclear-armed neighbors India and China after deadly clashes on the Himalayan border in 2020. India reacted by banning hundreds of apps linked to China, including PUBG and TikTok.
Of those hundreds of apps, Crafton’s PUBG is the only title to have made a comeback in India – albeit with an entirely new avatar. Crafton broke ties with its publishing partner Tencent and pledged to invest $100 million in India’s gaming ecosystem. In an interview with Meczyki.Net earlier this week, the company said it is on track to deploy more than $140 million by the end of next month.
A Crafton spokesperson in India did not comment on Thursday evening.
The company said earlier this week that more than 100 million users in India had signed up for the game. According to Sensor Tower, BGMI had over 16.5 million monthly active users in the country.
This is a developing story…