Sir Frederick Barclay will not give evidence in contempt of court case, judge told

B

Consumerist Sir Frederick Barclay will not give evidence at his ex-wife’s trial after being accused of failing to pay tens of millions of pounds, a judge has been told.

Sir Jonathan Cohen is considering the latest phase of the money dispute between Sir Frederick, 87, and Lady Hiroko Barclay, 79, at a public hearing in the Family Division of the High Court in London.

Lady Barclay asks the judge to sentence Sir Frederick to prison.

She says Sir Frederick has breached the order after being asked to pay her more than £100million following the breakdown of their 34-year marriage, and is in contempt of court.

Lady Hiroko Barclay (left) leaves the High Court (Christy O’Connor/PA) / PA Archive

Lady Barclay tells Sir Jonathan that Sir Frederick has the means to pay but his aim is to “end things” until “one or the other of us dies”.

Sir Frederick denies his accusations.

Barrister Charles Howard QC, who leads Sir Frederick’s legal team, told the judge on Tuesday that he was not proposing to “call” his client.

The Barclay brothers were among Britain’s highest profile businessmen, with business interests that included the Telegraph Media Group and The Ritz Hotel in London.

Sir Frederick says he does not have access to the funds, and the money is held in trust.

Lady Barclay says the “loan notes” were in Sir Frederick’s possession, and his lawyer told the judge they were worth £545 million.

She also argues that she has an interest in Braco in the Channel Islands, where Sir David lived.

After Sir David and Sir Frederick Barclay received knighthoods / PA Wire

“Brakehoe is freehold – he owns 50 per cent,” he told the judge on Tuesday. “I can get money from it.”

Lady Barclay added: “He has no money? Well.”

He said Sir Frederick was “the boss” and told the judge: “He can provide the money but he won’t.”

Lawyer Marcus Darrell, who is based in Miles Preston and represents Sir Frederick, told the judge in a written statement that “every step” had been taken to collect the money owed.

“In light of his age and health, (Sir Frederick) has specifically instructed me and his personal adviser, Martin Clarke, to take all necessary steps to raise the lump sum on his behalf,” he said.

“As a result, Frederick’s direct involvement has been limited and he has not been involved in much detail in these operations, but I can confirm that he has in no way contributed to our lump sum collection. has not interfered with or thwarted the efforts.”

He said it had become clear that there were “only two viable options” to try and raise the lump sum: Sir Frederick could try to sell his interest in Braco Island and/or issue two trusts. Can try to redeem the loan notes.

Brekho Island (U.S./PA)

“All steps have been taken to collect the full amount and ensure compliance with Frederick’s order,” he said.

“However, as the court will see, despite his best efforts, Frederick has not yet been able to collect the lump sum.

“Frederick is currently being financially supported entirely by his daughter Amanda, through loans and gifts.”

Sir Jonathan had previously ruled that Sir Frederick should pay Lady Barclay a total of £100 million after overseeing her fight for the money.

The judge criticized Sir Frederick, saying he had behaved in a “reprehensible” manner.

He said the businessman had sold a luxury yacht and “put the equity to his own use” in violation of orders.

The judge said Lady Barclay wanted £120m and Sir Frederick had made an offer which left her with nothing.

Sir Frederick was ordered to make two payments of £50 million each.

The hearing is ongoing and is expected to end on Thursday.

:: Sir Jonathan was given settlement figures in a separate High Court dispute between Sir Frederick, his daughter Amanda, and their nephews over a breakdown in talks at The Ritz.

Sir Frederick, and his daughter, were involved in a 94-hour secret recording dispute with Sir David’s three sons.

A judge heard how Aidan, Howard and Alastair Barclay made secret recordings over several months.

The Barclay family said in June 2021 that the case had been settled.

Barrister Stewart Leach QC, who is leading Lady Barclay’s legal team, told Sir Jonathan on Tuesday that Sir Frederick and his daughter had received a total of £800,000.