The court said the man, who had been tortured, stabbed and thrown onto the Ballymena pitch, “offered a £25,000 bribe to withdraw evidence”.

A man who had been tortured, stabbed, beaten and left to die in the freezing cold in ‘semi-clothes’ was allegedly offered £25,000 to retract his testimony. The court heard on Tuesday.

Objecting to the release of Glenn Sheridan on bail, the police told the Antrim Magistrates’ Court, sitting in Ballymena, that the alleged bribe and delinquency “illustrated the lengths this drug ring would go to” to get rid of anyone in its path.

Belfast resident Sheridan is one of five defendants charged with kidnapping, attempted murder and arson in what District Judge Nigel Broderick called “an agonizing set of circumstances.”

Five defendants: David Coleman of Fountain Street in Ballymena; Mark Bradshaw (51) from the High Street in Ballymena; David Philip Cherry (39) from Waveney Park in Belfast; Sean Davies (39) from Queens Park in Saintfield and Glen Sheridan (43) from Florence Walk in Belfast.

Cherry and Bradshaw are also charged with possession of Class C pregabalin, while Davis is charged with possession of Class A cocaine.

Police say the man was called to Coleman’s home on October 11 last year. Once there, he was stabbed with a red-hot knife, his jaw and skull were crushed with an axe, and he was forced to use his own clothes to wipe up the blood. He was then stuffed into the trunk of a car and taken to a field outside Ballymena, where he was left unconscious, wearing nothing but his boots and boxer shorts.

The court had previously heard that, according to the police case, the victim was summoned to Coleman’s apartment on the pretext of packing cocaine to pay off a debt.

However, at home, he was forced to hand over his mobile phone, and Cherry looked through its contents. He is said to have “provided Mr. Coleman with phone information to suggest that the victim was hacking into customers’ phones and taking customers away from Mr. Coleman.”

Mr. Coleman then “attacked” the victim while Sheridan “laughed” in the kitchen, “encouraging the attack.”

Although the man was attacked on October 11, he was unable to make a statement until November 19 because he was sedated in the intensive care unit. However, he claimed that Coleman “pulled out a knife, heated it on a gas stove, and stabbed the victim in the chest, close to the heart” before cutting his face “down to the bone.”

The court also heard claims that the victim was ordered to strip and “cleanse his own blood” and allegedly heard Coleman make a phone call during which he asked “where he can get rid of someone”.

While there is no forensic evidence linking the man to the Coleman home, police believe he had a sex change.

It is alleged that Sheridan was armed with an ax and a knife, with which he threatened the victim and forced her into the trunk of a BMW car. With Cherry at the wheel, they drove the man to a field, where Sheridan allegedly used the back of an ax to crush his head and crush his jaw.

Around 8 am, the victim was noticed by a passing truck. Doctors said the man, seen only because of the truck’s high height, “was within an hour of dying from possible hypothermia or blood loss due to injuries.”

In court Tuesday, defense attorney Aaron Thompson admitted the allegations were “violent allegations” but the severity of the crimes is no bar to bail.

He emphasized that Sheridan had not been sued for anything for 15 years, and with the completion of the police investigation and the transfer of the file to the PPS, the chances of witnesses intervening were slim.

He suggested that Sheridan “could be flagged and completely expelled from Ballymena” to assuage police concerns, but the judge said that while there was some delay in the case, “it’s not to the extent that the court should reconsider the release.” bail.” .

After taking Sheridan into custody and adjourning the case until Aug. 18, District Judge Broderick said he still feels the risk of new offenses and interference by witnesses.