The launch of the new space telescope from NASA delayed after the incident

BERLIN (AP) – The European Space Agency says the launch of a new NASA telescope to replace the famous Hubble Observatory has been postponed to allow experts to check the unit for possible damage following an incident at its French port of Guyana.



ESA said in a statement late Monday that technicians had been preparing to attach the James Webb space telescope to a launch vehicle adapter when a clamp band suddenly came loose and shook the sensitive observatory.

“A NASA-led anomaly review board was convened immediately to investigate and initiated further tests to determine with certainty (that) the incident did not damage any components,” ESA said. “NASA and its mission partners will provide an update when testing is completed by the end of this week.”



Woman standing in front of the James Webb telescope.
European Space Agency (ESA) “Head of Bureau” Charlotte Beskow at The Guyana Space Center in Kourou, French Guiana.
AFP via Getty Images / Jody Amiet
James Webb Space Telescope.
The James Webb Space Telescope is expected to replace the famous Hubble Observatory.
AFP via Getty Images / Jody Amiet

ESA said the telescope will now launch aboard an Ariane 5 rocket no earlier than December 22 – four days after the original scheduled launch date of December 18.



.

Author: admin

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *