Tributes to British father and son found dead after suspected ‘poisoning’


Tributes have been paid to a British father and his teenage son who were found dead in a flat in Bangladesh after suspected “poisoning”.

Rafiqul Islam, 51, and Mahiwal, 16, along with three other members of their family, were found unconscious by police officers on Tuesday afternoon.

Both died on the way to the hospital, and his wife, elder son and daughter are undergoing treatment at MAG Osmani Medical College and Hospital (SOMCH), Sylhet.

Hassanara, 45, and Samira, 20, are in critical condition in the Intensive Care Unit (ICU), while Sadiq, 24, is said to be in a stable condition.

The family, from Riverside, Cardiff, were visiting family in the country on a two-month holiday and were renting a flat in the eastern city of Sylhet.

Bangladesh Police Superintendent Fariduddin said: “After discussing the overall situation with the doctors and examining the scene, we believe it could be a case of poisoning.

Other people in the building are close relatives of the victims.

“We questioned them.

“At this point, we believe they fell asleep after dinner last night.

Friends said Rafiqul Islam – second from right – was a “loved and respected” member of the Cardiff community. Family Handout)

“It should be investigated further. How were they poisoned? How did they die? We will be able to confirm after investigation.”

Mr. Uddin said that the family slept in the same room after having dinner on Monday night.

The next day, relatives raised the alarm around 10 am when they could not hear any sound from the flat and tried unsuccessfully to open the door.

Saptuddin added: “After they were taken to the hospital, the father and the youngest son were declared brought dead.

“The condition of mother and daughter is critical.

“He has been shifted to the ICU.

Another brother Sadiq is undergoing treatment.

Authorities initially thought the family had suffered food poisoning, but have since launched a police investigation into the circumstances surrounding the death.

The police are still awaiting the results of the post-mortem which has already been done.

According to a family friend, family members including Mr. Islam’s mother, brother and sister have moved to Bangladesh.

Community members say they are in “total shock” over the tragedy.

Muhibul Islam, from the Jalaliya Mosque and Islamic Education Centre, described Mr Islam as “a good and respected member of the community”.

“It was a complete shock, it still hasn’t sunk in for everyone.

“Most of us are now praying that the rest of the family will pull through.

“All thoughts are on their survival.

“This is such a terrible tragedy and we are in utter disbelief.

“We request everyone to pray for the family,” he added.

Mohammad Haroon, general secretary of the Bangladesh Association Cardiff, said he used to work with Mr Islam, who was a taxi driver in Cardiff, and said: “He was a very nice person, a very helpful person who was always at the mosque. . and working continuously with the community.”

Haroon said Mr Islam was a member of his local badminton and football teams.

“It’s very sad.

But I’m sure the elder son is all right now, he’s up and talking.

“His (Mr Islam’s) daughter is still in a critical condition and his wife is not yet out of danger.”

A spokesman for the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office said: “We are providing consular assistance to a British family following an incident in Bangladesh and are in contact with local authorities.”

Riverside Labor councilor Kanaya Singh told Wales Online: “Obviously this is a very worrying and tragic incident.

“Everyone I’ve spoken to in the community speaks highly of the family and our thoughts are with them.

“It is also a cause for concern because many people from Riverside travel to Bangladesh on a regular basis.”