What are my F-1 opt options if my crypto job is no longer available? – techcrunch

Here’s another version “Dear Sophie,” advice column that answers immigration-related questions about working in technology companies.

“Your questions are vital to the spread of knowledge that allows people around the world to rise above boundaries and pursue their dreams,” says Sophie Alcorn, a Silicon Valley immigration attorney. “Whether you are in people ops, a founder or looking for a job in Silicon Valley, I would love to” answer your questions In my next column.”

Meczyki.Net+ members get access to a weekly “Dear Sophie” column; Use promo code ALCORN to buy a one or two year membership at 50% off.

dear sophie,

I’m an F-1 student who graduated this month with a bachelor’s in computer science. I had received work authorization under OPT and had a job with a crypto company, but they turned down my job offer.

Do I need to tell my DSO that my job offer was revoked? What are my options, especially if I want to build my own web3 startup? How long can I live in the US without a job? Thanks in advance for your help!

– Veer Grad

Dear Veer,

Sorry to hear that you are being forced to make last minute changes of plans. Although it’s inconvenient, it can be an exciting opportunity to explore and even make something yourself!

Do I need to inform the DSO?

Yes, you should inform the Designated School Officer (DSO) of your university about your status as soon as possible. Federal regulations require that you notify your DSO within 10 days of any change in your employment or personal information. DSOs are required to update information in the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) system within 21 days.

How long can I remain unemployed?

A Composite Image Of Immigration Law Attorney Sophie Alcorn In Front Of A Background With The Meczyki.net Logo.

image credit: Joanna Buniak / Sophie Alcorn (Opens in a new window)

OPT on F-1 students are only allowed to remain unemployed for 90 days after graduation. After that he will have to leave America.

Without Optional Practical Training (OPT), F-1 students can stay in the US for up to 60 days after graduation. This 60-day grace period also applies after the OPT expires, unless the F-1 student applies for a two-year extension known as stem opt Or find another visa category.

What are my options?

The first option is to set up a startup or create your own employment opportunity by co-founder. Web3 is hot right now, and it will be related to your computer science degree from the point of view of the F-1 opt. Once you receive your EAD card, founders are allowed to be self-employed in an F-1 regular opt-in.