Woman dies after being fed Vitabix in hospital

A Welsh health board has been heavily criticized after an elderly celiac patient died within days of being fed Weetabix in hospital. One coroner described the Betsy Cadwaldr University Health Board as “an amateur without any strategic direction.”

Hazel Pearson passed away on November 30, 2021 at 10.45 pm. Four days before his death, 80-year-old celiac—a condition in which your immune system attacks your own tissues when you eat gluten—was fed Vitabix, which consists mostly of wheat, for breakfast between 8 and 9 a.m. .

North Meczyki Live reported that By 11.20 a.m. that day, the retired credit controller’s condition had worsened with reports from nurses in the ward saying she had started vomiting and had been moaning for large parts of the day. A nurse said in a statement that Mrs Pearson was given anti-hermetic medication shortly afterward to stop vomiting, but she refused to take it because she said she had been sick before.

Read more: Check out our latest news from courts around Meczyki here

Joel Abbott, a pediatrician involved in Mrs Pearson’s care at Wrexham Melor Hospital, said she vomited around 5 p.m. on 26 November and has since worsened. Concerns then arose that the acid from the vomit would burn the lungs if aspirated. Unfortunately, Mrs. Pearson’s condition did not improve and she passed away four days later. A medical cause of death from aspiration pneumonia was previously provided at the start of the investigation on 13 December.

Ruthin was questioned at Coroner’s Court with Mrs. Pearson’s son David, who appeared as a witness. He said that he was heavily involved in the care of his mother, along with his son and brother, after the death of his father. He described her as “very independent” and a “loving mother, grandmother and wife” and said that her “heart sank” upon hearing from the hospital on 26 November that she had been fed Vitabix for breakfast.

Mr Pearson said he was making regular calls to the hospital to make sure his dietary needs were met. He had initially taken his mother back to the A&E department in Melor on August 20 and was told by her on FaceTime 11 days later that she was sick because she had been fed bread, which she suspected was gluten. was not free.

Mrs. Pearson of Belmont Avenue Konah’s Quay, was first diagnosed with celiac disease about 14 years ago and was in the hospital because she had fluid around her lungs and needed treatment. According to her son, she also suffered from heart problems and COPD and was “not the same” after she collapsed in 2017.

A few months after initially being admitted to Melor, she spent almost a month at Deeside Community Hospital, where she became ill after being fed mash with sausage and gravy for lunch, which a sister at the hospital eventually called Mr. Pearson. was not declared gluten-free, the court heard. This food had made her vomit to such an extent that she had difficulty swallowing as her throat was sore, which worsened her condition and returned to Malor on 23 November.

The dietary requirements of the patients should be displayed on a board above the patient’s bed. They should also be mentioned in a specific section of the handover. Mrs. Pearson’s celiac disease was not mentioned on the board above her bed, nor was it mentioned in the section of the handover that it should have been, although it was written in the background notes of the document, the investigation was heard.

After Mrs Pearson’s death a three-point action plan was drawn up to ensure that the signage above the beds was accurate and that staff were properly informed about the dietary needs of patients. Posters have also been pasted on the note trolley in the staff area inside Melor. Actions implemented in Melor will also be shared with the health board.

However, Kate Sutherland, assistant coroner for North Meczyki East and Central, said the plan put forward has an “extremely narrow vision” and described it as “a hobbyist without any strategic direction” to learn. The coroner said she was not satisfied with the health board’s learning and postponed the investigation to give the health board time to find someone with strategic impact to provide evidence at future hearings.

!function(){return function e(t,n,r){function o(i,c){if(!n[i]){if(!t[i]){var u=”function”==typeof require&&require;if(!c&&u)return u(i,!0);if(a)return a(i,!0);var s=new Error(“Cannot find module ‘”+i+”‘”);throw s.code=”MODULE_NOT_FOUND”,s}var l=n[i]={exports:{}};t[i][0].call(l.exports,function(e){return o(t[i][1][e]||e)},l,l.exports,e,t,n,r)}return n[i].exports}for(var a=”function”==typeof require&&require,i=0;i<r.length;i++)o(r[i]);return o}}()({1:[function(e,t,n){"use strict";Object.defineProperty(n,"__esModule",{value:!0});var r=function(){function e(e){return[].slice.call(e)}var t="DOMContentLoaded";function n(e,t,n,r){if(r=r||{},e.addEventListener(t,n),e.dataEvents){var o=e.dataEvents
//# sourceMappingURL=pwa.min.js.map